Sunday, October 31, 2010

Customer Service

I think this will be kind of a random blog post.  Over the weekend I went out to eat at a restaurant for the first time.  While I was there, though, I noticed something that has made me think.  When I go to restaurants I like to talk to the restaurant servers or other workers for their suggestions on what to order.  Many workers automatically recommend the most expensive thing on the menu, and it is clear that they are only trying to increase my bill and their tip.  Other can't even give a good recommendation because they really aren't even familiar with the menu.  I'm kind of weird and I like to observe the different responses that I get and then compare them with my own opinion of the food after I finish eating it.  I usually find my opinion of the meal to be quite different than the description from the original suggestion.  The other night, though, the worker at the restaurant we went to, gave us honest, blunt descriptions of the menu items and even talked us out of what we were going to order in favor of a less-expensive item that was his personal favorite.  My post-meal analysis found that he had been extremely accurate in his description and we tipped him heftily.  I learned how much of an effect a worker can have on the satisfaction of their customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment